Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Winter's Perspective

Waking up in the mornings, my thoughts are usually jumbled, a multitude of fractured thoughts of what my life should be about...people, places and things to do. This morning I awoke early to a dull, bleak December day, void of colours, a grey stillness with the constant but gentle drizzle of rain. The bleakness of the grey landscape allowed my mind for a few minutes to focus on the simplicity of life. It is so simple, yet we lose our gaze when there is much to see. After I had awakened and begun to study the landscape, my husband awoke. Glancing outside, he was moved to say,"What a miserable day!" Strange....I was profoundly moved by its entrance, a few moments earlier. I felt secure, almost in awe of how simple it was all meant to be.

I would soon trudge out to the barn through the mud to feed my sheep. I sometimes wonder why I love my life in the country with my animals. There is something satisfying for me about pulling on my smelly barn clothes and going out to the barn on what might look like a cold miserable December day...it isn't that at all. It is a secret...it is my secret. The sheep look up at me, waiting...waiting for me. They know me and I know them well. I study their stunning coats made of various colours and textures. I make sure to run my fingers through some of their coats as they pass by me. I stay to listen to hear the rustling as they pull apart their flakes of hay. I watch how after testing the water with their noses several times, they drink deeply and the water level in the bucket goes down surprisingly fast. I am deeply thankful to observe these what you might think, small and insignificant events in my day. It is all very simple stuff, isn't it?

Our Christian walk can seem anything but simple at times...so many bible verses and which one do I use for this time. Is God really listening and what does he want me to do? Yet, it is simple. The ancient editors of the "Book of Psalms," chose a rather simple Psalm to begin.

Happy is the man who has not walked in the wicked's counsel,
nor in the way of offenders has stood,
nor in the session of scoffers has sat.
But the Lord's teaching is his desire,
and His teaching he murmurs day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by streams of water,
that bears its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither-
and in all that he does he prospers.
Not so the wicked,
but like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand up in judgment,
nor offenders in the band of the righteous.
For the Lord embraces the way of the righteous,
and the way of the wicked is lost.

The imagery is simple but touching. The man, he walks...he stands...he sits, always choosing to simply follow God's teachings. It is a thoughtful life...a simple life despite its distractions. He murmurs as he goes "which is what one does in a culture where there is no silent reading." We meditate. Again, such a simple thing. How will we prosper? Will it be with wealthy possessions? It will be the rich knowledge that we awake to at dawn's first light, that we know who we are and place our new day in His hands, receiving all He has to give us. He "embraces" us. The Hebrew translation is to "know." He knows you. He really and truly knows you and that is getting close to, if not, the meaning of life...the meaning of this new day. HE KNOWS YOU. Simple!

MY kitty, Golda, runs to the door every morning to go out. It is her thrill, her duty. This morning as usual, she went out into this bleak December day. Shortly after, I glanced at her and gave her the option of returning into her(MY) warm, cozy living room by the fire. But no, she continues to sit on the front porch step, watching..... She just might miss something on this bleak December day. She is happy. "Happy the man" as he walks...stands...sits.

Blessings to you on this bleak December day. Pam

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hello everybody,
Well I thought it was a good post. It came to me early in the morning just as light was emerging and I quickly posted it which is unusual for me. When I said that "God knows me" is close to or the meaning of life, I should have said more correctly, it is the beginning of the meaning of life. Extending that thought, as John said, "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man but of God. That is our identity, to become a child of God...by choice. I think this would be close to the meaning of life in my mind as a born again Christian. I remain in awe that this Great God knows me, He chose me and that is where it all begins. I welcome your comments.
Pam.