Saturday, March 21, 2009

Her Children Arise And Call Her Blessed.

I have been busy the past few weeks working on some sewing projects with my friend and neighbour, Brenda.  Once ploughing season begins, I will not see Brenda much so sitting in front of our sewing machines, side by side has been a special time for me. As a matter of fact, I do not really like sewing; I far prefer spinning and weaving  but Brenda loves to sew and patiently encourages me.

Brenda is a devoted wife, mother and grandmother.  After  long days of cooking meals for hungry farm workers, tending to household chores, book keeping for the farm, driving farm vehicles, tending animals… she always...always has time for her grandchildren and I often see her riding her bike down the country roads with them in the cool of the evenings.  She attends a number of community groups such as the local fair board, Women’s Institute, 4 -H organization, to mention just a few.  And did I mention…her baking skills are to be drooled over! 

Each spring, Brenda likes to set up the incubator to hatch an assortment of chicks and ducklings for her grandchildren.  One evening last spring, I was heading back home from town.  It was late and most of the houses along the road lay quiet and darkened.  As I passed Brenda’s house, it too lay quiet and dark and I assumed all were asleep in bed.  To my delight, as the rest of the family were sleeping, I saw in the dimly lit window, my friend, standing over the incubator having one last look to see if any new little creatures needed a helping hand to come into this world before heading to bed.  I had to smile as that was Brenda.  No wonder her family and friends love her so much.  To me, she is very much “the wife of noble character” in Proverbs.

She is clothed with strength and dignity;

she can laugh at the days to come.

She speaks with wisdom,

and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

She watches over the affairs of her household

and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children arise and call her blessed;”

                                      Proverbs 31:25-28. 

DSC00280 

How thankful am I that she is my friend and neighbour.

No comments: